Matt moved to "The Coast" 30 years ago... just for a couple of years but the people, the way of life and the awesome environment took hold and he stayed. A keen explorer of the history of the Maori and European settlers to the area, he knows the stories of the places and people, the trails they walked and the historic sites of the those who came before. You'll be guided on walks that let you experience the amazing landscape while meeting some of the characters who battle a living from this challenging environment. A passionate advocate for the protection of the region's flora and fauna, he loves to share its unique qualities with visitors who have ventured to this remote and spectacular region.
- Your West Coast experience begins with a morning journey on the famous TranzAlpine Train. You will travel from Christchurch through the patchwork of the Canterbury Plains and into the Southern Alps disembarking at Arthur’s Pass National Park.
- Matt will be waiting for you at Arthur’s Pass and take you on guided walk to stretch your legs after your train journey and to encounter the Alps.
- Enjoy a stop for photos at Death’s Corner.
- Possible viewing of Kea, the world’s only alpine parrot and you’ll see the amazing viaduct
- Enjoy lunch at the charming Jackson’s Historic Tavern
- At Hokitika you will visit with a couple of selected artists in their homes or galleries. This may include a local copper artist, a sculptor whose medium is native wood trunks or a carver who specializes in carving pounamu (local jade)
- Hear lots of stories on the history of the area and conservation efforts as well as enjoy scenic stops through this day.
- There is the opportunity for a helicopter ﬂight onto the glacier in the afternoon or the next morning. This cost is not included in tour price.
- Arrive at “Glacier Country” and drop off to accommodation at either Franz Josef Glacier Village or Fox Glacier Village.
- After breakfast Matt will guide you on a walk through the glacier valley.
- Possible scenic helicopter ﬂights this morning (weather depending) including snow landing if not done the day prior. This cost is not included in tour price.
- You then leave Glacier Country for Lake Matheson rainforest walk and possible reﬂections of Mt Cook and Mt Tasman in the deep still, waters.
- A chance to meet with a local couple and talk about their life in this area.
- Lunch will be one of two options: a farm lunch with a local couple (the most likely option) or a walk to the beautiful, isolated and wild Monro beach for a picnic lunch.
- Short walks throughout the day may include Ship Creek “Floating Forest” walk, the ﬁrst part of the historic Haast Cattle track
- Enjoy a stop at the Knights Point Lookout for endless views of the Tasman Sea and the possible sightings of New Zealand fur seals, Hector dolphins and a variety of pelagic birds.
- Late afternoon arrival at Collyer House Guest Lodge. This bed and breakfast accommodation is in a remote region and has been built against a backdrop of ancient rain forest and mountains and faces west to capture the magniﬁcent views of the Okuru River estuary and the Tasman Sea. Accommodation for this night is not included in the tour cost.
- Evening trip to Hapuka Lagoon and Estuary for evening sunset and bird watching
- A real locals experience will be enjoyed when you have dinner at the local pub! Cost of dinner is not included in tour cost.
- After breakfast by the Tasman Sea you will have your ﬁnal day discovering the West Coast with Matt.
- The day is ﬁlled with short walks and sightseeing over the Haast Pass route. These walks are to picturesque waterfalls set amongst the sub-tropical rain forest, over a swing bridge to see the unreal Blue Pools, walk amongst a forest ﬁlled with curtains of moss and enjoy many photo moments.
- Possible optional trip on New Zealand Tourism Award Winner “Haast River Safari” jetboat with drop off to Roaring Billy Falls. Cost is not included in tour price
- Arrive in Wanaka in time to admire and view this charming lakeside town before taking to your lunch stop for picnic lunch.
- Enjoy a picnic Lunch at either Glendhu Bay, Matukituki Valley or Rippon Vineyard.
- Your last stop before Queenstown is at the historic Cardronna Hotel for afternoon tea. Cost not included in tour price
- Late afternoon arrival at Queenstown where Matt will bid you good bye at your Queenstown accommodation.
Pricing and Inclusions
$3,810.00 NZD based on two passengers
Includes: Private guiding for three days, lunch on all three days, TranzAlpine train from
Christchurch to Arthur’s Pass (or Arthur’s Pass to Christchurch)
Please note: accommodation is not included
When you book our Locals and Landscapes Guide Matt, a Donation
of $10.00 Per Person will be donated to the West Coast Blue Penguin
Trust. Matt has also offered to match this donation. Click the following
link to see how your donation is helping New Zealand.
Click here to see how your Donation will help