Young, full of passion for her Maori heritage, gorgeous and bright. So much in just one person. Melissa is of Maori and Pakeha (European) heritage. Her iwi (tribe) is Nga Puhi and her hapu (sub tribes) are Ngati Kahu and Te Rarawa. Melissa's varied background includes working as a theatre producer, charity fundraiser, personnel consultant and educator. She grew up on a beach in the far north of New Zealand before moving to Auckland to study at the University of Auckland focusing on Maori art and traditional culture. Her knowledge and enthusiasm for Maori art is contagious. Consider yourself warned; you may become a Maori art enthusiast too by the end of this day trip.
- Pick up from your Auckland accommodation by your local guide
- Visit West Auckland’s beautiful Waitakere Range’s rainforest and a wild black sand beach to learn of the Maori concepts of Kaitiakitanga (guardianship) of the land and connection to the forest and the sea.
- Hear the Maori creation stories of nature and how these themes are referenced in art and design during the rest of your day
- Meet a very charismatic Maori master wood carver
- Enjoy a leisurely lunch with the artist in his home. Spend time getting to know him, sharing kai (food) and laughter whilst learning about carving, symbolism, moko (he has a traditional full facial tattoo), his life and how many forms of Maori art are incorporated into it.
- Visit a selection of Maori art galleries, New Zealand and Maori design stores, ceramics and jewellery studios.
- Indulge in Melissa’s passion and knowledge of Maori art, contemporary culture and Maori stories and history
Pricing and Inclusions
$1,188.00 NZD based on two passengers
Includes full day of private guiding and lunch with a Maori artist.
ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS IN AUCKLAND (not included in tour price)
Stafford Villa - Luxury Option
Stafford Villa, is a gracious historic double bay villa one of the original homes located in Birkenhead Point, lovingly restored in 1999. Close to the water and surrounded by tropical trees and shrubs. Guestrooms are exquisitely furnished, have king beds and offer all the little extras to make sure your stay is one to remember.
5 star Qualmark accredited
Scenic Circle Airedale Hotel – Deluxe Option
Situated on the corner of Queen and Airedale Streets, you’ll appreciate the Hotel’s superb location that puts some of Auckland’s best attractions at your doorstep. The hotel is a leisurely walk to the waterfront and downtown shopping area. This well-loved and historic landmark, formerly known as the MLC Building, has been completely refurbished and transformed.. The art deco charm of the 1950’s is reflected throughout the hotel’s architecture with beautifully presented areas . The guest rooms have a modern apartment style, yet carry the art deco theme through in the finer details.
3+ star Qualmark accredited
When you book our Locals and Landscapes Guide Melissa, a Donation of $10.00
Per Person will be donated to The Motutapu Trust. Click the following link to see
how your donation is helping New Zealand Encounters Conservation effort.
www.motutapu.org.nzClick here to see how your Donation will help